Thursday, May 27, 2010

We're Really Doin' it Harry!


I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis when I was 21 years old. I had three lesions on my brain and two on my spine. My first child was a year old. My only hope was that I would be able to raise my own children until they were finished with high school. The thought of having my husband and children take care of me, instead of me taking care of them, has been my biggest fear since my diagnosis. After a couple of years of feeling sorry for myself, and living in fear of waking up blind or crippled, I decided to get healthy, get active, get involved, and stay positive. Now, I look at having MS as a call to enjoy every moment I have; to enjoy each moment that I have with my children, and to do the absolute best I can, while I can. Against the wishes of my neurologist, I have had three more children since my diagnosis, and, though this disease certainly keeps life interesting, I have been richly blessed.

Last November, my Aunt Marcia, who also has MS, sent me an email about a new treatment for MS called the Liberation Treatment. Dr. Zamboni in Italy discovered that 100% of the people he tested with MS had constricted jugular veins and or azygos vein, which was not allowing the blood to flow from the brain to the heart, and causing lesions on the brain! This problem, when fixed with a simple angioplasty procedure, was allowing the blind to see again and the lame to walk! As I watched the story, I wept. I knew that this was big, and I knew that I had to find a way to be tested and treated. The excitement soon wore off when I found that all efforts in this country are being shut down because the liberation treatment hasn't gone through years of trials and studies. I didn't want to give up, though, and after hitting a lot of brick walls, one of my new friends in Canada opened up a door for me to be treated!!! Finally!!! I'm going to Costa Rica to be treated on June 24th, just 4 weeks from now. I can hardly believe it. After failing over and over, the fact that it's really happening just seems so surreal! Honestly, it's really kind of terrifying. I am absolutely dreading leaving my children for seven days, and I'm not sure yet how I'm going to pay for it, but I know it's right, and that's all I need to know I guess. The rest will work out.

I want to thank all of my friends and family for their love and support. One of the most difficult things about this disease is having to ask for help sometimes. I am just so stubborn and want to be able to do everything on my own, but I have been so blessed with many friends and family who are constantly there to help and encourage, and for that I am eternally grateful.
For info on the Liberation Treatment in Costa Rica, visit

No comments:

Post a Comment