Friday, April 1, 2011

Cautiously Optimistic

Well, the procedure went well.  It was a little rough at first because they  forgot to put the pain meds in my IV. So they made the incision in my groin, stuffed the catheter in it, pushed it up into my jugular vein, and started ballooning my jugular.  I just figured I was being a wimp and needed to breathe through the pain.  But the blooming was so painful and I finally just started crying from the pain and the nurse was like, "Oh shoot!  I forgot the pain meds!  I promise I won't drop the ball again!"  haha ya that sucked.  But it was totally worth it, because...
My right jugular vein was still open from the last surgery, but the left one was closed again about 25 percent so they opened that up.  He said he used a bigger balloon than normal and he's hopeful that it will stay open this time.  My azygous vein had stenosed again in 2 spots.  It was 80% occluded.  One spot is now 90% opened and the other only opened to 75%. 
Immediately after surgery, my mind cleared out.  I felt like I could see everything brighter and crisper than before, which was the same experience I had when they opened my azygous vein in Costa Rica.  I have way more energy and couldn't even fall asleep last night because my brain was so alert and clear!  So that's been wonderful.  I'm going to try working out in the next few days and I am so hoping and praying that I will feel good.  I'll let you know! 
Thanks to everyone for all of your love, prayers, and support.  I am so truly blessed for such amazing friends and family who step up and help us in our time of need, watching kids, bringing meals, or just checking in on us.  It means the world. 


  1. Goodness gracious! I can't believe they forgot the pain meds, or that you toughed it out as long as you did! You are one strong woman. And you're in our prayers always!

  2. Oh my word! How could they forget something like that?! Awful. So glad you're feeling better. Hope all continues to go well...and maybe you should take it easy on working out? What about maybe just walking? I'm thinking you are way too hard on yourself. Just a suggestion...

  3. Toby...I am Jodi, Courtney's mom. We have emailed a few times. Courtney also had the procedure done in January. Her jugular veins were open but her azagus vein was 60% collapsed. She feels great right now. She is tAking the ldn medication and some good supplements and she reports that she feels like she doesn't have ms. Lot's of energy. While it's hard to determine which of these things did the trick I have to believe it was a combination of them all. She's switched her diet and is way into yoga so all of it working together is great. I hope this time is the trick for you, but none of us know how long it will last do we... We are looking forward to the walk for ms coming up at the end of this month. Would love to meet you if you are attending...thanks for your help

  4. Toby!! I'm so happy to hear everything went great (besides the pain meds, you are one STRONG women)... I admire you so much and I want to thank you for lifting us up and for your strong testimony!!
    Love ya-